Areas of Concern
This section of our website is a tool to help you match common security concerns in a healthcare or hospital environment. Security hardware concerns are generally categorized in terms of protecting people and property while maintaining compliance with regulatory requirements. The products and services shown are a small subset of the overall hospital security solutions overview set, but they are representative of the products and methods that are being used to enhance security in these facilities at all levels.
Electronic Access Control: (Click to see examples of Solutions)
- Is staff alerted by unauthorized ingress or egress to restricted areas or private living quarters?
- Has biometric (finger print or facial recognition) been considered to avoid unauthorized loaning of access cards or keys?
- Does staff carry ID Badges/Access Control Credentials with audit trail?
- Are other entrances equipped with access control products where key cards or other similar items are used to access the building?
- Has a video surveillance system audit been done in the past year?
- If video surveillance is in place, is it being monitored throughout the day?
Key Control: (Click to see examples of Solutions)
- Are spare keys stored in a locked cabinet with record & receipt of issued keys?
- Is key management software used?
- Do electronic keys & cylinders need to not only be secured, but also provide audit trail?
- Are patented key systems needed for a higher security system?
Doors & Door Hardware: (Click to see examples of Solutions)
- Does your facility have a preventative maintenance program to assure all locks are operating & securing doors properly?
- Do the automatic doors that are accessed by disabled & elderly detect their presence in the opening & delay closing until clear?
- Have the manual closing doors with hydraulic door closers been tested to assure they meet ADA low resistance opening effort standards?
- Are walls and doors protected from damage and scarring from moving objects such as wheelchairs?
- Is hardware treated with an anti-microbial finish to fight infectious disease?
Maternity Wards: (Click to see examples of Solutions)
- Is a visitor viewed through an Audio Entry system, and is there communication with the front desk?
- Are the doors equipped with alarms to alert of unauthorized access?
- Are the locks on the doors functioning?
- Are doors equipped with electric latch retraction to allow for immediate lock-down?
- Do patient rooms have a safe or lockable cabinet for patient valuables storage?
- Did you know hardware can be treated with Anti-Microbial products to help fight infectious organisms?
Pharmaceutical Safety: (Click to see examples of Solutions)
- Are all medications secured and accounted for throughout the day?
- How are medications delivered to patients within the facility?
- How is medication secured within a patient room?
- How are medications monitored when refrigeration is required?
Patient Records/HIPAA: (Click to see examples of Solutions)
- Are personal records secure at all times during the day?
- Does management know who has access to the personal records?
- Does management know how many keys and/or passwords are available for existing systems?
Behavioral Health: (Click to see examples of Solutions)
- Are specialty locksets installed to prevent the lock from being used as an anchor?
- Are cabinets secure where the handle cannot be used as an anchor?
- Are in-swinging doors equipped with hinge covers or specialty hinges to prevent being used as an anchor?
- Are doors equipped with an alarm to prevent non-approved egress?
ADA Compliance: (Click to see examples of Solutions)
- Are doors equipped with handicap accessible equipment?
- Are doors able to be opened and closed easily while complying with ADA regulations?
- Does the facility have any areas that may not be in full compliance with ADA regulations?
Government Security: (Click to see examples of Solutions)
- For a Government VA Healthcare facility, are locks FIPS 201 approved?
- For a Government VA Healthcare facility, are access points at an entrance equipped with a FIPS 201 Compliant PIV II card reader?
Hospital Hotels (HopTel)/Lodging: (Click to see examples of Solutions)
- Do locks on hotel style rooms for frequently used rooms for long stays have audit trail in case an incident occurs?
- Do Hoptel Rooms offer a secured location for valuables inside the room?
- Do Hoptel Room doors secure when the person exits the room?
Fire & Life Safety: (Click to see examples of Solutions)
- In case of power loss, are doors equipped with an illumination option to view exits with smoke in the building?
- Are the doors equipped with panic hardware or fire exit hardware?
Elopement: (Click to see examples of Solutions)
- Are exit doors equipped with alarmed devices to alert staff upon unwanted egress?
- Are door prop alarms on exit doors to assure exit doors remain closed?
Hallways & Bathrooms: (Click to see examples of Solutions)
- Do the hallways have a protective and rugged coverings to prevent damage from wheelchairs and other moving objects?
- Do the hallways have protective and supportive items to help tenants with support?
- Do private living quarters and community bathrooms offer easy access to personal items, such as toilet paper, while maintaining a GREEN Solution?