Special-Lite Fiberglass Reinforced Polyester (FRP) Doors are exterior doors designed with the heavy-duty rigors of high-traffic school entrances and exits in mind. Additionally, Special-Lite FRP Doors are light-weight (yet durable) and energy-efficient. Each door has a proprietary urethane core injected, comes GreenGuard certified, and exceeds ASHRAE Energy Standards.
Furthermore, Special-Lite offers a 10-year, 100% parts and labor warranty on its products (certain product exclusions apply*).
*The BasiX™ Door and Interior Architectural Products each carry a separate warranty. Contact Special-Lite, Inc. for details.
Optional protections include:
- Blast Doors
- Ballistic Doors
- Florida Building Code (FBC) approved High-Velocity Hurricane Zone (HVHZ)
Typical applications for the Special-Lite Fiberglass Reinforced Polyester Doors (SL-17 / SL-20) include K-12 schools, public buildings, sports complexes, water, and wastewater treatment facilities, and in Schools, Property Management and Hospital scenarios where doors are put through an excessive amount of use and punishment.
Features and Benefits
- Manufactured with stiles and rails of extruded 6063-T6 aluminum alloy
- Stiles and rails are joined with mitered corners and angle blocks secured by 3/8″ diameter full-width galvanized steel tie rods
- Standard and optional internal reinforcements provide secure attachment for the exact hardware specified
- Face sheets are rabbeted and secured on all four sides by full-length integral reglets on the edges of the stiles and rails to form a truly flush door
- SpecLite3® face sheets are .120″ thick and provide scratch, scuff and fade resistance and will never rust, corrode, crack, split, peel or rot
- Face sheets available in standard through-molded colors so scratches will not be obvious (max size = 4′ x 8′)
- Color match available in painted sandstone-texture sheet
- Poured-in-place closed cell urethane core that is a minimum of 5 lb./cubic foot density
- Doors can be supplied with hardware installed, reinforced only, or prepped for field installation of hardware
- All anodized finishes are Class I (.7 mil)
- Unique configurations such as arched doors, odd sizes, unequal pairs, dutch or bi-fold doors and custom lites are no problem
- Thermal performance — minimum U-value/R-value = .29U/3.45Rp
- GREENGUARD Certification
- Florida Building Code approved for use in HVHZ
- SL-17 is a FRP Pebble Grain Aluminum Hybrid Flush Door with a Fiberglass Reinforced Polyester Door and Aluminum Frame system made for exterior openings in high use and abuse areas. The SL20 is a FRP Aluminum Hybrid Door that has an exterior-grade sandstone-textured FRP surface finish and best for high traffic exterior entrance locations, but can also be used on interior spaces.
SL-17 & SL-20 Benefits for Coastal Locations
- Impact-resistant products comply with ASTM E 1886 and ASTM E 1996, FBC protocols TAS 201, TAS 202, and TAS 203.
- SpecLite3® face sheets on the SL-17 are easy to clean and highly resistant to graffiti.
- Through-and-through colors minimize the need for repainting and servicing costs.
- Closed-cell polyurethane foamed core is dense and resists water and moisture build-up, preventing mold and/or bacterial growth.
- Thermal performance — minimum U-value/R-value = .29U/3.45R and CRF of 55.
- Face sheets provide scratch, scuff, fade and corrosion resistance.
|Hurricane Rated Configurations|
|Opening Size Tested:||
In conclusion, contact your local IDN Branch to place your order for Special-Lite Fiberglass Reinforced Polyester Doors or to receive a quote.
Visit our School Safety Vulnerability Assessment to gauge the upgrades your school’s facility may need or to schedule an onsite assessment.
© Copyright IDN, Inc.
Kwame Shorter is the Digital Communications & Website Specialist at IDN, Inc.