Main Entrance: (Click for Solutions)
- Is the main entrance restricted, or locked, during school hours?
- Is staff at the main entrance while students are leaving or entering school at the start and end of a school day to monitor visitors?
- Is a visitor viewed through an Audio Entry system, and is there communication with the front desk?
- If a visitor is granted access to the main office, is a name tag or badge provided?
- Is a metal detector provided to catch any weapons carried by visitors and/or students?
- Are all teachers equipped with access to the other entrances to use during playground visits?
- Are the other entrances equipped with access control products where key cards or other similar items are used to access the building?
- Does each classroom have a means to communicate with the front office?
- Does the school have a plan in place, and tested, to communicate immediately with parents and staff in case of emergency?
Classrooms: (Click for Solutions)
- Are all locks on classroom doors functioning?
- Are any closets, bathrooms, storage rooms, etc., within the classroom equipped with a functioning lock on the door?
- Are the locks on the classroom doors equipped with a Classroom Intruder function? (These locks allow a teacher to lock the outside lever without opening the door to the corridor.)
- Are the doors equipped with access control locks that allow for immediate lock-down from a central point, such as the office?
Locker Security: (Click for Solutions)
Perimeter: (Click for Solutions)
- During a school day, are video cameras in place to monitor the perimeter of the school?
- Is someone monitoring the video cameras throughout the day?
- Are there additional doors within the building that are always locked from the outside, but available to exit in case of emergency?
- Are these perimeter doors monitored by staff to see if they are closed and locked from the outside at all times, yet still open for free exit only egress?
- Are the doors in assembly spaces (i.e. Cafeterias, Library, Gymnasium, Auditorium) equipped with panic hardware or fire exit hardware?
- Are the locks on the doors in assembly spaces functioning?
- Are doors in assembly spaces equipped with electric latch retraction to allow for immediate lock-down?
Cabinets & Drawers: (Click for Solutions)
ADA Compliance: (Click for Solutions)
Campus Security: (Click for Solutions)
- Does each student, faculty, and staff have their own credential to access classes, buildings, rooms, or dormitories?
- When providing access credentials to students, faculty, and staff, do you know who has what keys to which buildings during specific periods of time?
- Has an unauthorized person ever entered a room/building without authorization (i.e. dormitory, lab, computer room)?
- Do the campus buildings have a system in place to prohibit entry by intruders while still providing emergency egress?
- Do dormitory rooms provide a safe and secure place to lock & store expensive personal equipment to decrease theft?
- In the event of an emergency lockdown situation, do areas around campus (i.e. classrooms, gymnasiums, auditoriums, labs, dormitories, offices) provide a secure mechanism to secure students, faculty, or staff within the room while preventing an intruder from entering?
- In the event of an emergency situation, are rooms able to be locked and secured within ten seconds or less?
Complementary Items: (Click for Solutions)
- Are emergency buttons positioned throughout the school or campus to contact authorities should an emergency situation arise?
- In case of power loss, are doors equipped with an illumination option to view exits when smoke is in the hallway?
- Are bathrooms equipped with products such as hand dryers or bathroom partitions in working order?